Bacon is one of the most demonized foods on the planet. Is it really that bad?
While there are known risks associated with eating cured and smoked meats in excess, bacon is still okay to enjoy on occasion if you follow a few guidelines.
- Avoid feedlot bacon.
- Choose pasture raised when possible.
- Avoid well done bacon.
- Avoid cooking bacon at high temperatures.
- Enjoy bacon on occasion while eating plenty of fruits and vegetables daily.
This slow roasted bacon is cooked at a relatively low temperature and yields bacon that is crispy yet not overdone.
About 14 strips good quality bacon
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Place a draining grate inside a full size sheet pan. Place strips if bacon in a single layer across the draining grate.
3. Bake in a preheated oven for 45-70 minutes. Cooking time will depend on the thickness of the bacon.
4. Remove the bacon from the oven and gently slide a fork or spatula underneath each strip to loosen it from the grate. This will prevent the bacon from sticking as it cools. Let cool for 3-5 minutes. The bacon should become crisp as it cools. Enjoy immediately or store in the refrigerator to enjoy later.
Comments | Leave a comment >>