These bars are definitely a favorite with the kids. And of course the adults like them too. The nourishing and energy packed ingredients make them a great snack before athletic competitions or on hot days filled with lots of activity. They need to be kept cold so be sure to pack them in ice if you’ll be transporting them.
note: Begin melting the ingredients for the chocolate before starting on the crust.
1/2 cup unsalted roasted almonds
1/2 cup unsalted roasted pecans
1/2 cup unsalted roasted walnuts
2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup raw honey (Raw honey contains antioxidants and has antibacterial properties that can help keep kids and adults healthy. Most of these benefits are destroyed when honey is processed with high heat.)
1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
1. Add the almonds, pecans and walnuts to the container of a food processor. Process until well processed, but still slightly mealy, about 20-30 seconds.
2. Add the ground flax seed, salt, and cinnamon and process for a few more seconds until well combined.
3. Add the vanilla, honey, and coconut oil and process until it starts to come together and form a ball.
4. Press the crust into the bottom of an 8 1/2 by 8 1/2 glass baking dish. Oils may separate slightly. Immediately put the crust in the freezer for about 15 minutes to set.
2 cups Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips
1 stick sweet cream butter from pasture raised cows
1/2 cup cold pressed coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Melt all 4 ingredients in a double broiler, stirring until smooth.
2. Remove the crust from the freezer.
3. Pour the melted chocolate mixture over the crust and return to the freezer for about 20 minutes, until chocolate is completely set.
Peanut Butter Layer
2 cups natural peanut butter or natural nut butter of choice
2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp. almond flour
1. Over a double boiler, melt peanut butter.
2. Add coconut sugar, maple syrup and almond flour. Stir vigorously until coconut sugar is melted and almond four is well combined.
3. Remove the crust with set chocolate layer from the freezer. Add peanut butter layer and spread evenly with a rubber spatula.
4. Return the bars to the freezer for another 10 -15 minutes to set.
Cover and store in the refrigerator. Serve cold.
Comments | Leave a comment >>