STANDING CABLE OR BAND CORE BRACING WITH PRESS This exercise is a variation of Standing Cable or Band Core Bracing.
- Adjust a cable to chest level or attach a band to an anchor at chest level. Stand perpendicular to the cable stack or band anchor point.
- Grip the band or cable—one hand clasped around the other—and begin with hands at your sternum and elbows even with your torso. If using a band step to the side enough to keep the band taut (for increased resistance, take another step to the side).
- With knees bent, hips back, shoulders back, and feet a little wider than hip distance, engage the core by tightening muscles as if expecting a punch to the gut. Use core muscles to resist any rotation from spine, shoulders, knees, or hips.
- Press the band or cable straight forward, fully extending (but not locking) arms.
- With control, return hands to starting position. Perform 8 reps while resisting rotation from spine, shoulders, knees, and hips. Rotate 180 degrees and repeat the other side.