Most protein shakes and bars are highly processed and contain preservatives, fillers, and synthetic ingredients. And most of them don’t even taste good. Why bother? My Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bar is made with only nourishing ingredients and it tastes amazing.
*note: I use PaleoPro protein powder. It’s the only protein powder I’ve tried—to date—with ingredients I trust and a taste I enjoy. I always buy the Plain Naked and add my own sweeteners and flavoring.
*note: Buy whole dates WITH the pits and take the pits out just before using. This ensures that the dates will remain moist.
1 Bag Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup grass fed butter, virgin coconut oil, or 1/4 cup of each
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. raw honey
1 cup natural peanut butter or natural nut butter of choice
1 cup PaleoPro unflavored, unsweetened, Plain Naked protein powder
3 Tbsp. raw cacao powder
1 cup pitted dates (see note above)
1. Grease an 8 1/2 by 6 1/2 glass baking or storage dish with sustainably harvested palm shortening, butter, or coconut oil and set aside. You may also use an 8 x 8 glass baking or storage dish. The bars will just be thinner.
2. Add chocolate chips, butter and/or coconut oil, vanilla, honey, and peanut butter to a double-boiler or heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
3. While things melt in the double-boiler add the protein powder, cacao powder, and dates to a food processor. Process until dates are completely broken down. Set aside.
4. As the chocolate mixture melts, continue to stir until everything is melted and combined.
5. Add protein powder, cacao, and date mixture to the melted chocolate mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
6. Transfer to greased baking dish and refrigerate to set.